Monday, October 23, 2017

Spring Break 4ever - Halloween Costume DIY

        One of my favourite movies that came out in the last few years was Spring Breakers (2012), written and directed by Harmony Korine. A lot of people hated it, but it had a cult following which I definitely identify with. To try to describe the plot is difficult because the entire movie is a wild psychedelic trip, but if you do decide to watch it, I would recommend you read or listen to some interviews with Harmony Korine and understand what themes and morals he was trying to portray in this movie.

Source: Spring Breakers official Twitter
        In the movie, the three protagonists wear these iconic neon pink balaclavas with unicorns on the forehead. They also wear black sweatpants at the climax of the movie with "DTF" on the back. That is what I will be recreating with this DIY Halloween costume tutorial! it is pretty quick and easy, and great for DIY/cosplaying beginners!

Source: Gigazine article
Source: Spring Breakers official Twitter
        I start off with this bright pink toque I got from Urban Outfitters. Initially I was concerned about finding a  unicorn to put on the forehead of my toque- I thought I was going to have to order a patch online. But, luckily I stumbled across this key ring from H&M which had a unicorn head on it that was perfect!



        To cut the holes out in the correct places, I flipped the toque inside out and fulled it over my face. With a felt pen I drew circles where my eyes and mouth are, and then cut them out with scissors.




        As for the adorable key ring, unfortunately it had to be butchered. I cut the little head off the puff ball. and made sure the bottom was a clean line.


        Here, I was placing the unicorn on my on my toque just to make sure it looked good and authentic. 


        Finding that my mouth and eye holes were fraying, and I decided to take some artistic freedom and stitch along the edges of the holes with some pink crochet cotton thread. I did a basic whip stitch, but now looking back I would have probably done a blanket stitch. Even though they don't actually have this in the movie, I thought it was the right choice for the longevity of the costume. 




        Hooray! Finally I hot glue gunned the unicorn to the balaclava. 



-->
          Here are a pair of sweatpants I found at Value Village. Surprisingly (and unfortunately), all I could find in terms of black sweatpants were these bad boys with "PRIDE" on the back with paw prints. It was alright though, I painted over the writing with black acrylic paint. Luckily when I'm wearing them and my butt is in shadow and the acrylic paint isn't very shiny or noticeable. Once dried, I painted "DTF" in big letters with white acrylic paint. I know in the scene their letters are silver, but I all honesty was in too lazy to go all the way over to the store to get silver paint, so white would do. The picture below is after one layer of paint, and after two it was opaque. 



-->
        And there we have it! After all the DIY portion was done, I went to the dollar store and got a plastic gun similar to what they have in the movie. Voila, enjoy! And remember, this is the fucking American dream.. Spring Break forevaa


No comments:

Post a Comment