Saturday, December 30, 2017

Step Up to the New Year


        Christmas has come and gone and with it winter break has slipped through our fingers. My time off was filled with stuffing my face with holiday food, catching up on much needed sleep, and spending time with my loved ones. Can't say I'd wish for anything else. Now, New Years Eve is tomorrow and it's during this time that I, like most others, begin to look back on my past year. 

        Amy Lee, one of my favourite fashion bloggers and Youtubers, had me seriously reflecting after watching her video 10 Questions to Reflect On for the Past Year. I started thinking of my high points and low points in 2017, both professionally and personally. After watching her video, I decided to put up notes on my bedroom wall to remind myself of my goals for this coming year. They are:
  • Work Harder (Do That Damn Reading)
  • Stop Wasting Time On Things That Do Not Further Your Goals
  • Take More Risks
  • Wake The Fuck Up In The Morning
  • Step Up Your Everyday Outfit Game
  • Take More Photos (Experiment!)
  • Start More Conversations
I hope having these up gives me daily reminders that I can do better- both socially, educationally, occupationally, and artistically. Amy always inspires me and kicks me in the ass right when I need it.


        This look was centred and styled around this breathtaking knee-length Oak + Fort cardigan I got for Christmas from my dear mother. This piece is exactly what I needed in my closet this year. The rest of the look is a perfect example of my uniform for these past few months, consisting of turtlenecks, high waisted jeans with belts, and ankle boots. I know, I know, it's getting predictable, but it's just has kept me so warm and comfortable, as well as feeling strangely sophisticated.

        Although I love my Palmroth boots, I have to say that this outfit needs a pair of platform boots to elongate my legs, especially with this long cardigan. I've been browsing every website in search for the perfect platform boots for me; a pair of stacked ankle boots that are mainly black, but with an oomph, and a heel and platform that are close to the same height so my feet don't kill me and I can wear them any day of the week. So far, Dolls Kill has been the best website for me to find these kinds of boots. I've found several from the brand Current Mood that I have my genuine eyes on, including the Hot Stuff Ankle Boot with a badass flame on the heel, and the Graveyard Shift Boots with a super staked platform and eye-catching rainbow zipper. I want to bite the bullet and buy a pair of these boots for myself, but Christmas has left me a bit strapped for cash so I feel guilty splurging on myself when I know a semester is coming up. But they are definitely something I look forward to saving up for and treating myself to!


        These silver hooped and looped earrings I'm sporting were made by my mother! Every year for Christmas she has a jewelry party at our house where she sells her pieces to friends and family. A few months ago she was looking for inspiration, and asked me what young people are wearing today in terms of accessories. I told her geometric shapes, hoops, chains, and minimalist clear cut lines. After showing her some geometric earrings and necklaces from Topshop, Oak + Fort, Forever 21, and the works, she started experimenting and gave me the prototypes! I would link her Etsy account so everyone could see the rest of her work, but she hasn't quite sorted out her online store yet. Once she does I'll be sure to promote! 







        While taking these pictures my sister and I were probably 5 minutes away from catching Hypothermia but that's okay we suffer for The Look.


Cardigan: Oak + Fort
 Turtleneck: Majora
Jeans: Just USA Jeans
Belt: Vintage
Boots: Palmroth Original
Earrings: My mom :)

No comments:

Post a Comment