Sunday, July 2, 2017

Summer Lovin'



        It's officially July, which for Vancouverites means that it is finally summer. We had a bit of a June-uary last month but luckily we've pulled through and now our forecast is nothing but blue skies. 

        I am very proud to say that I earned an internship as a "Marketing and Administrative Assistant" this summer at a theatre /slash/ performing arts facility. As an assistant, my duties usually consist of the monotonous or meticulous jobs that my managers and supervisors don't have time to do, such as going through and filtering emails, merging words and excel documents, sending letters, organizing files, and battling the printer. But, I love the environment and how kind and supportive all my superiors and coworkers have been. It is my first job in the field that I am going to school for, and I'm grateful that it's the perfect environment to ask questions, take instructions, make mistakes, and improve myself. One downside, though, is that I've come to discover how ridiculously expensive transit fare is in Vancouver, now that I'm no longer covered by my monthly pass while I'm taking courses. Such is life though, and there have to be some drawbacks to living in such a beautiful city like Vancouver. 


        I hope you enjoyed my last post on making my own denim skirt out of a pair of Levi's jeans (if you don't know what I'm referring to scroll down a bit and take a look!). I have truly been wearing it nonstop, and finding it working with just about anything. So please don't judge if I feature this skirt in a lot of outfit looks this summer, I honestly can't get enough of it.

        Due to my new office/semi-formal job, I've found it tricky styling my usual staples in everyday Monday-Friday life. However, I've slowly been adapting and mastering the ability to express myself and be creative while till fitting into my more professional work environment. This outfit here is what I have been leaning towards recently. This mock turtle neck is great because it is modest, but it has subtle artistic edge to it that I love. With my denim skirt, I've been loving showing off my belts with it. Without a belt, I've been finding my waist gets a bit lost, but luckily I have some cool belts that deserve some attention. 

        Unfortunately, pretty much everything in this outfit cannot be purchased. The shirt and belt are thrifted, the skirt is of course DIY, and the mules are from Thailand. More specifically, I bought them from a man at a shopping mall in Bangkok that told us that him and his mother make these shoes by hand. My mother and I both bought a pair of shoes from him, and whenever we wear them we get so many compliments. I wish I had the wherewithal at the time to get that man's name or take a business card, but idiotically I forgot in that moment. Now they're forever referred to as the "Thai shoes" in my household, and I suppose here too. But I love their simplicity and how they add sophistication to any outfit- I definitely need more mules.


        To me, this outfit is absolutely perfect for all those who don't work in a too conservative workplace, but still wish to look respectful and presentable, all with a twist for some creative outlet. 

        These lovely photos were taken by my friend, Emily, who is an assistant photographer. See some of her photography here on her Instagram! She also has a blog that she runs with her boyfriend that showcases their meals, trips, and adventures called The Weekend! I am so thankful when she takes my photos because you can truly see her artistically trained eye!












Denim Skirt: DIY
Mock Turtleneck Tank: Thrifted
Mules: bought in Thailand
Belt: Thrifted 

No comments:

Post a Comment